Sunday, October 13, 2013

Abby Road

105. Abby Road, by Ophelia London
Abby Road
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I picked up this book, about a celebrity musician whose personal life is spiraling downward after the unexpected death of her brother. When we first meet Abigail Kelly, she's just about hit rock bottom. Her manager has given her an unexpected summer off to recuperate, so she heads to South Florida to stay with her sister. There, she meets Todd--and falls into a romance she wasn't expecting and wasn't looking for. But just as their relationship seems to be taking off, Abby gets swept back up in her music career. As Todd gets increasingly frustrated by the difference in Abby--particularly the way she lets her creative judgment be overriden by her overbearing manager--Abby finds she may have to make a choice between the two things she loves best in her life.

I think what I liked best about this book is the glimpse into Abby's life as a musician and the creative energy that drives her. The romance, for me, had some ups and downs. Initially Todd seemed almost too perfect--and then over the course of the novel he makes some decisions and acts in ways that seemed abrupt and a little inexplicable (though they were explained later). But I liked how real Abby was and I enjoyed following her journey to find herself. The writing style, too, was clear and enjoyable. Overall, I'd say it's a fun, fairly clean romance. Not perfect, but a fast, enjoyable read.


No comments:

Post a Comment