Saturday, September 14, 2013

Marissa Meyer, Scarlet

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)94. I loved Marissa Meyer's Cinder, but I was hesitant about the sequel because, well, most sequels, particularly in multi-volume trilogies, suffer by comparison. And while the plot here was not as tight as Cinder, I found that I did enjoy this book quite a bit.

The story begins with Cinder being held prisoner, awaiting delivery to the Lunar Queen, Levana. Meanwhile, in far-away France, Scarlet Benoit is searching to find her grandmother, who disappeared without warning three weeks ago. Cinder manages to escape with a charming criminal, and Scarlet finds herself in the company of the enigmatic wolf, on her way to Paris in pursuit of her grandmother. Cinder's story here was a little slow--mostly it's a traditional sort of escape narrative. Scarlet's story, on the other hand, was dramatic and romantic and at times heart-breaking.

It took me a while to warm to Scarlet's story, mostly because when I picked up the story I was most interested in following Cinder and Emperor Kai. But before long, I was equally caught up in Scarlet's story. It's not a perfect story, by any means. But I found it interesting and absorbing and I'm eager to find where the series takes the characters next.

No comments:

Post a Comment